Friday, May 28, 2010

Lightning Strikes

There's something awfully soothing about a thunderstorm in the summertime. Granted, its not quite summer, just a few days, but hey, who's counting.  But I love that feeling just before a thunderstorm starts. The air is warm, you can cut the humidity with a knife, and a quiet breeze to boot- there is a moment when you wonder if you can make it under an overhang just in time.  In an odd way at that exact moment, you're secretly hoping you're not going to make it and you get caught in the downpour. Maybe I'm the only one that feels that way, but if I'm not going anywhere and just hanging out, I love to get completely drenched.

Tonight was one of those nights. I poured myself a glass of wine and sat on the front stoop and watched the thunderstorm roll in and thought about how romantic thunderstorms are. I can't seem to put my finger on it, but there is something very romantic about them- maybe its the smell, the possibility of a kiss in the rain, or the blue hue that shines when lightning strikes? Either way, its one of those things that makes you think. I always find myself getting a little nostalgic during a storm- wondering who I shared the last one with, who I'd like to share this one, and where I might be for the next.

I think the reason why I like thunderstorms so much is because they give the feeling of a cleanse- getting rid of the old and making room for the next.  This one couldn't have come at a better time. I'm ready for the next phase (move out of Philly, start a new career, start a new journey)- here's hoping I get my invitation for the Peace Corps soon.

Current track: Sean Hayes- Rosebud Inside

No comments:

Post a Comment